Saturday 27 January 2018

Luca’s choice weekend

Got back to rampworx on Wednesday after my tumble a couple weeks ago, was with Sam Chris, Ant and Phil ... all better than me but that’s a good thing, it pushes me to do better. Even though I am twice the age of Chris n Ant so sometimes I don’t go full force like they do my body is a little more delicate than there’s ha. 
Headed straight to the 1/4 pipe that I crashed on, thought it best to get it out the way and make sure I could still 180. BRAKE ! πŸ™ˆ well it seemed it got to me I bottled it. Took a few runs but I got it again and had a good night, pretty chilled riding wise didn’t do anything special but was good to get back in the skatepark. 

Friday I got off work early so picked Luca up from school, recently I have realised that all though we always do cool stuff on our weekends together its always my choice. He normally is made up with what we do but I thought I would give him a weekend where he could choose. 
Luca’s choice weekend consisted of a chippy tea Friday ..... I like the start of this weekend already haha, and my diet has gone out the window this week. 
Next stop was playing mario kart on the switch and with that it was soon bed time.

Saturday it was raining and Luca said “can we go ice skating ?” Cool by me, I played ice hockey for a year when I was 17 and I still have my hockey skates, not skated much since that just a couple times with Luca. Quick stop to B&Q on route to grab some stuff for the camper van, we need to use it mid week at work so I’m going to make the bed and cabinet removable then onto the McDonald’s for lunch before we got to the skate rink. 

Ice skating was fun, I was rubbish for about 30 minutes then got back into it, Luca is the same, takes him about 30 minutes with a penguin 🐧 then he is off on his own. Seen a couple nice woman with there kids who may of been single ( I always do this, check out women who may be single when on days out with Luca) but as always I don’t even talk to them coz I’m far too shy and afraid I will make a fool of myself, i wish people had a sign to say please approach me I’m single and I like you πŸ˜† 







So good day today, spent 4 1/2 hrs at skating so I’m a bit tired and legs are aching and Luca’s choice of event tomorrow is go to Degla for a ride. 
Some of the lads are going to Greno tomorrow and Luca loves it there but he wants to do the black at Degla now I’ve told him I have de limited his ebike haha. If anyone has a Yamaha motor on there bike its pretty simple to do, take the magnet off the wheel and attach it to the back of the crank with cable ties, then switch the sensor from inside of chain stay arm to outside again with cable ties and it fools the motor into thinking its going slower.

Bags packed and hardtails ready (i may struggle to keep up with him without a motor ha) I will report back and finish this blog tomorrow night and let you know how we got on. 




Sat morning up early, tea and toast made we set off in the van for Llandegla. We forgot to do his school reading book last night so he is reading to me on the way. 
Set the bikes up and we were ready, partly way up through the first section of woods i realised I had left my bag in the van πŸ™ˆ back to the car park and Luca waitied on the pump track while I went to the van, gets to the van and realised Luca had the keys in his backpack πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ back up to the pump track to get the keys and back down to the van again. Gets my bag then heads up to the pumptrack to get Luca, i was knackered by now and hadnt even set off ! wish i took my ebike and not the hardtail.

After all the messing about we thought it would be best to just head up the fire road to the top so off we went, soon as we got into the open the wind and rain was awfull. Weather report had gave 18-20 mph winds but it said it was a dry n cloudy day so I thought we would be ok. Typical Degla the weather does what it wants πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

Luca was even struggling on his ebike to pedal up and I got blown off sideways so we walked up, first section along the blue then red was windy but then as the red started to drop down it improved a little. Now last time we did the red on his ebike he had a otb off a Little Rock drop that could of been rolled, he wasn’t used to rocks and not being able to see past it to see how big the drop is. I did tell him he could roll it all but he hit the front brake and over he went. 

Not this time, there was me giving him advice as we went along to Luca replying “I know dad I can jump of a kerb you know” πŸ˜‚ so the red was no issues this time and I thought he is ready for the black. When we say black anyone that’s been to Degla will know the black isn’t really a black but to Luca this was a good introduction, not sure I would take him down a black anywhere else yet. 

As we rested at the point where the black starts I heard a couple of roadies on mountain bikes ..... you know the type, all in Lycra chatting about how fast they got up the hill ! I was surprised they had stopped for a rest to be honest. Well I heard one mumble to his friend ‘ppfftt kids on ebikes now, how pathetic” I wasn’t 100% this was what he said so kept my mouth shut but I was fuming. They then set off just as we were getting ready to go, they were on full suspension short travel bikes and went off on the red, while Luca set off and headed straight into the black on his hardtail thats weighs a ton without hesitation. I felt a little smug at this point with a grin on my face and calling the Lycra boys Fanny’s we went down the black. 😁






Proper proud dad moment today, age 7 and did the whole black route except the b line. I think next time I will take my ebike and just sit in eco mode as when Luca hit boost on the climbs he left me for dead and was sat at the top chilling at every climb while I puffed n panted my way up grabbing my inhaler at the top every time (yes I’m not only type 1 diabetic I have asthma as well) 

Luca’s bike is a haibike sduro four, its a 24” wheel but has a 400w battery, most bikes come with a 500w and my focus jam2 comes with a 350w. I have no idea why a kids bikes needs a 400w battery as a full loop of degla with him using boost on the climbs he got back to the car park with 70% left, he could of done 3 laps ! I reckon I can get 2 laps out of my 350w battery in eco mode or maybe a full loop plus a blue loop in trail mode. 

Anyway, it was worth all that money for his ebike, he is a very lucky boy having a full sus / ebike and a jump bike plus the carerra crappy thing at his mums house πŸ˜† but for a 7 year old that hates hills (just like his dad) this bike was a great buy. He wants to go back again in a couple weeks to do it again. 
Also when we went to fort William for the World Cup weekend this bike was great for him then, we must of rode over 35 miles that weekend and I don’t know many kids his age that would do that without crying or throwing there bike in a bush in a tantrum haha. A lot of money for a kids bike but to have him on big rides like that and to see this smile at the end of it all its well worth it, my little sidekick can enjoy the skatepark on his jump bike, short downhill runs on his Kona stinky and long rides at dads pace on his ebike. 

We have half term coming up and looks like we may get some dry weather soon, next on the adjenda is to give him what he has been asking for for the past 6 months ..... “dad, when are you going to take me to an uplift like Bike Park Wales” 

I really need to stop showing him YouTube videos 😩 or do I ? I love it really 😁 

Will half term be the time to take him for his first uplift ? Long journey for me to go down there (4 hr drive) and not get to ride my bike properly ..... I suppose we can stop to rest and while he sits off I can session some jumps on popty ping. We shall see.


Until the next adventure πŸ‘ 





No comments:

Post a Comment