Saturday 20 January 2018

Jan 20th - snow day

Me and Jimmy had arranged to get out on Sat this weekend but seeing the forecast of rain and sleet he cancelled Friday night and left it. I packed the van as seen there was snow but no rain in Llandegla, alarm set for 6:45am i was set to go.
Woke up and checked the weather app to see it had changed and there was more rain and sleet than snow, but i decided to go anyway. Stopped at Lymm services for breakfast and ditched Greg’s for a mcdonalds today, ive been really good counting my calories all this month and then found out 2 mc muffins was enough for breakfast and dinner. Oh well i was riding today its ok. 
On route into Wales i didnt see any snow, disappointed ! Pulled into he car park just after 9am and got changed, base layer top n pants, downhill pants, body armour, buff neckerchief, another top, fox coat, socks and waterproof socks plus knee pads and elbow pads.... i nearly put a full face on just to keep warm. Not your normal trail centre get up but i was warm and prepared. 

Off i set, it was damp and a slight drizzle / wet mist. As i left the woods i seen white. Yes there was snow on the hill and it started to fall from the sky as well. Bombing up the climb passing loads of people because i was on the ebike 😏 when clunk ! I turned around to see my crank and pedal on the floor 
😩. Problem was my multi tool was stopping me from getting a good angle and i got about 10% of a turn each time so it took a while to get back on, 10 yards on it was still loose. Back off the bike and tighten it up more, meanwhile all the people I smuggley overtook earlier were now passing me with a smug look. Prob thinking ha serves you right ebiker. A couple did ask was i ok and did i have tools. Fixed and seemed to stay tight so off i went to overtake them again haha. 

I was surprised by how much grip i had, i did do a couple wheel spins uphill but the bike was gripping well, guessing because the snow was fresh i was still finding grip on the hard surface underneath with no ice. It was time to have some fun in the snow. 




Back at the van i closed the door over and put my gas heater on while getting changed, my feet were freezing so i put my socks on the heater just for a few seconds. I turned around to find my socks on fire 🔥 oh man what an idiot, when it says “do not cover” then do not cover ! Off to the shop to buy a pair of socks to warm my feet up, it was pretty nice putting nice new socks on. Pork pie and a hot chololate to warm me up and it was time to head home. 
It seemed i timed the ride just right as they had to shut the car park due to the heavy snow fall now, i crawled down the road out in the van to be safe then when i hit the roads it wasnt long before the snow turned to sleet then back home it was rain. Just over an hour away and such radical change in conditions. Made up with my ride i got home for a hot bath before going to get Luca, we were taking my little sister out for a birthday meal tonight.

Popped into Chris’s and he sorted the hub in Luca’s rear wheel for me, love a good friend who’s good with bikes 👍 cheers dude. 

Weather is set to improve next week so there may be trip further afield going down, we shall see how work is and how the weather is. Is it too cold still to sleep in the van ? We shall see maybe ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment