Wednesday 7 February 2018

Is winter over yet ?

Well its still winter ! Cold wet and dark. 

Welcome back to my ramblings, complaining, blabbering, waffling and generally talking rubbish blog 😆

Been trying my best to do as much as i can and not let the winter months go to ruin and get more fatter than i already am 😩 after sticking to below my calories all through Jan i have lost a grand total of 2lb since new year ☹️ so been doing quite a bit of searching on the internet about type 1 diabtes. Yes i have been diabetic for over 20 years but a lot has changed since then and you dont exactly get the proper support you should be getting from the NHS. 

But in this day and age of smart phones there are apps to help. I have been using the freestyle libre system which has had a massive impact on me, it is expensive at £50 a sensor (that only last 14 days) but its been a big help for someone who was never been into finger pricking so always guessed what my sugar level was. Years of having high levels i finally had something to help me and give me a kick up the bum, and now they have just released an iPhone app so all i have to do is scan my phone over the sensor and i get my reading ...... that would be great if i had a sensor ! They are out of stock and 3 weeks behind on demand 🙄 not only do i have to fund this miracle myself as its not available to me on the NHS but now i am waiting 3 weeks for something i have paid £100 for (order 2 at a time) 

Also i have found out that 1 click on my insulin pen does not count as 1 unit of insulin, its 3 clicks and there is also a formula to work out how may units i should be having ! Every 10g of carb = 1 unit of insulin. Where has this information been for the last 20 years ? So now i know exactly the amount of insulin to take i can lower my carbs each day and stop taking so much insulin, which has been the main cause of my big belly .... plus too many treats 😏 my belly was hard not soft fat so i knew it wasnt just down to bad diet as i eat and exercise pretty well. It turns out injecting lots of insulin 3/4 times a day makes you pile the weight on. 

With my new info and apps i now realise i was having far too many carbs, this week i have done really well, halved my carb count and exercised everyday. Let’s see how long it lasts ! Fingers crossed i can keep it up and improve my health and hopefully drop at least a stone. According to experts i am obese at 14 stone and 5,7 tall, but i could prob out pedal these experts on the trails .... makes no sense ! Ive overtook skinny guys loads of times. 


Anyway enough of me complaining about my health, there are much better things to talk about ... or write about. 

So what’s been going lately ? I took Luca top rampworx last Sunday, he was on his scooter 🛴.... cant get him on his jump bike now he has a pro scooter 🙈 not that he rides like a pro or anything he just wanted a pro scooter. I did tell him if i catch him waving it about spinning it around over his head or all over the show and saying look i can do a tail whip then i will be taking it off him 😆 

Rampworx was choka with scooters, sunday morning what else did i expect ! And the street plaza was closed so they were all in the pumptrack and bowl and main section, not much bike riding for me then. Did get into the bowl a couple times to have a scooter rat drop in without looking just as i was pumping round the wall AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH look where your going !!! 
Few near misses and i gave up and sat off and told Luca he had 30 min before we had to go, was chatting to a couple other lads on bmx’s and one of them said something that squashes my argument of there should be a scooter area and bike area. he said “without all these scooter rats these skateparks would no doubt be closed now” fair point to be honest, i guess my victor meldrew inner self needs to lighten up and be thankful we have places like this at all. 




I also went to degla AGAIN today haha, work was quiet and they posted saying they had a fresh layer of snow so off i went with the ebike. Its so nice riding in fresh snow and not ice or slush, so much grip and really fun when you can blast up the climbs. 





My legs are sore tonight though, been doing a walk / jog every morning in the gym so feeling it tonight.

====================

Onto some more positive vibes ..... Ive booked Morzine 🙌🙌🙌😁😁😁 me and the lads been talking about going and I thought this year it would happen but they all have other priorities with family holidays and stuff so i thought sod it, i am going on my own ! I love being on my own and enjoy my own time and have no problem with going for rides on my own but going abroad alone was something that scared me a bit, not scared of doing it but more what other people think about you. Some people call it anxiety but i think we all get a bit anxious in some situations its a normal thing, i get it when me and Luca go to centre parcs, its full of families and sometimes i think people are judging me being alone or looking at me thinking why is he here on his own with his son. They prob are not thinking that at all but thats what goes through my mind, so going abroad alone was a big thing. Ive recently finished a book by Derren brown called ‘Happy” it was such a hard read for me, im not a big book reader unless its a crime thriller. But it made so much sense, on the front it says “why more or less everything is absolutely fine” and it is fine, there is no reason for me to paranoid on what others think, no need to be afraid of doing things alone, and although life is full of challenges in the end it all works itself out with the right mindset.

So i did it, i booked, im stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something new this year. And i cant wait, i am really looking forward to it now its booked and im pretty sure being a mountain bike mecha i shall get chatting to someone. I might not be able to keep up with them on the mountain though haha. 


So i booked Morzine and next week is half term and as ive said before Luca asked a few times when am i taking him on his first uplift day ? Next week i am taking him to bike park wales, ive booked a B&B for us as we are about 4hrs away so best to stay over. There is no spaces on the uplift but i dont think that matters, Luca wont be pushing 8/9 uplifts so we shall buy the on the day passes and see how he does. Will be sticking to the blues for him but i reckon he will love it. Not told him yet, i will see him tomorrow so shall tell him then. 

I will be taking the go pro and filming him from behind letting him set his own pace so look out for that in a blog soon. 

The lads have just booked Moalfire uplift today for March, looking forward to that but nervous as well. Im not the most confident when it comes to hitting new trails and with it being one of these uplifts ran on a tractor only a few times a year i am envisioning crazy steep techincal downhill stuff which is not my best kind of riding. But i need to step out of my comfort zone and just get on with it and ride at my own pace and level and enjoy it, i wish i could have this fuck it and go attitude the young guys seem to do so well but being a 40 something who has already broke a shoulder in 2 places and many ribs and other bones its a little harder when you dont bounce anymore 😄 

====================

The camper van has been stripped out and i have built a bed frame and kitchen units that can be just popped in when i use it as a camper, makes much more sense for the business and myself, can be used in the week for the business, used at weekends for riding with the lads and used for camping trips. Multi use vehicle. 





Forgot to take a pic when i put the bed in, removed it again now. Will do one when we do our first camping trip this year.



Went down to bickertrax (our local trail) last week, first time since Autumn. Im one of the lads who help look after the place as its a classic ... council builds trail, council leaves it to rot and ruin 🙄 i dont ride there in winter due to the slop, its a horrible clay thick slick horrible mud. Which at this time of year needs clearing off the trail. 
Baz came came down and was good to chat with him while we done some digging, first time i had spent some time with him since the BPW broken arm day. He seemed in better spirits and was looking forward to the summer as well, he seemed to be a bit more uplifted about getting back on his bike as well. He was under the impression i didnt think it was very serious on the day as I calmly said to the uplift driver ‘he is ok just broke his arm” what i ment was no one needed an helicopter we just need to get him to hospital and was staying calm in the situation. I also told him he was a nightmare and wouldn’t let me put his arm in a sling in his top haha. Had a good laugh about it all and cracked on with some trail maintenance.

Meeting with the council on Saturday hopefully we can get some help and get some stones and pipes for drainage as the trails and bombholes are a mess and without us digging them out every year the trails would be ruined. 






Baz was made up with his Aldi wellies, i thought he had his wifes on 😆

====================

Finally got the buggy / go kart working this week, cant wait to see Luca at the weekend see if he can reach the pedals to have a go.


Damn thing has been a pain in the arse, great engine on it but all the drive and clutch was knackered, all new parts now and working. Would of been fun if we had that snow where we lived. Wish it had suspension but ive reached my mechanical knowledge on this now and it will have to do as it is. 





With trips to Cornwall to plan and Fort Bill booked and many other uplifts and trail centres to do i am going to be a busy busy boy this year, cant wait for summer to kick in and start longboarding again and planning to get into paddle boarding as well. 



Adventure is out there ! And i plan to grab it by the balls. I will sleep when i am dead 💀 

Thanks for reading and i look forward to blogging all these adventures this year, see you on the trails 👍


No comments:

Post a Comment